Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic

After Stephen's parent's left town, the three of us spent a quiet weekend around the house. Stephen was still unwinding from just having studied for and taken the boards, as well as recovering from a cold, and me? well I'll take any excuse to be lazy with my boys for a few days ;) Lucky for us, it was a three day weekend. 

Sunday of Labor Day weekend was the last day of the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic, so we decided we'd go and watch the final "lift off". This day was different than the others because, weather permitting, all forty balloons were going to take off at the exact same time. Apparently it's never been done before at this event and just listening about it I didn't think it was going to be anything spectacular, but I thought it would be a fun morning as a family and I knew Uriah would like to look at all the balloons. You guys, the pictures don't do it justice. For lack of a better word, it was magical. In the crisp morning air with the sun just rising and the distant dramatic music playing... If I didn't already, it might have made me believe in God. Just sayin'. It was awesome. 

Uriah was in awe. He was too interested and intense to crack a smile, once. His eyes were huge taking it all in. He loves balloons and he loves things that fly in the air - it had to have been close to his dream come true. It wasn't until after the event that he even said a word about it - "bug bahs" (big balloons) pointing to the sky watching them all fly off. He still requests the "bug bahs" video every time he seems my phone. (Also, he requested on taking his own balloon with him and didn't let go of it the entire time we were there.)

I used to attend the event when I was little and living in Caldwell, so it was fun to take my family and share that memory with them. It was a pretty great morning snuggled under blankets with my boys on the field watching those balloons take off. One of those moments that make you realize just how truly blessed you are.

After, we stopped for some cinnamon rolls and pumpkin spice lattes before returning home to put Uriah down for a nap and snuggle in bed to an episode of the Office. And then off to church once Uriah woke up. It was a morning I'll gladly relive in my head for many months and years to come.


  1. That look like so much fun! By the way your family is gorgeous!!!

    1. It was incredible! I'm sad we won't be around for it next year - Uriah would like it even more! AND! Thank you :)