Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Disneyland


Stephen and I have always wanted to go to Disneyland. I went at that age of 6, and again my freshman year of high school for one day during our California spring break, but Stephen hadn’t been since he was a baby. He probably can’t remember what we ate for dinner last night, so he really can’t remember this. We thought it would be fun to go one time before we have kids so we could do all the “big kid” stuff and be on our own schedule. Selfish? Maybe a little. We didn’t think we’d have the time or money to go anytime soon, though, so Disneyland was put on the “someday” list.
You know back when the Superbowl was hosted in part by Disneyland? And at the end of the game when they handed the Quarterback the trophy they’d always ask, “So and so, you just won the Superbowl! Now what are you going to do?” And they’d always say, “I’m going to Disneyland!” Well, way back when I didn’t understand that they were promoting a sponsor and that they actually had to say that. I just thought they were really going to Disneyland! Either way, the saying became a part of my usual vocabulary. And when Stephen won the Arthur Schiable Human Anatomy Award, I asked him that same question later that evening. When he replied with, “We’re going to Disneyland!” I smiled and laughed because he knew that’s what I wanted him to say, but he kept smiling! With his hundreds of laugh lines and his red cheeks… He was serious! The award came with a hefty check, so we could afford to go… And we were already planning on being in California for two weeks so we had the time to go… And just like that, “someday” became next month!

We woke up early and drove the hour and twenty minutes from Bonsall to Anaheim, just in time for the gates to open. I was giddy like a little girl on Christmas, or like a little girl going to Disneyland! For those of you who know me, you might understand my excitement. For those of you who don’t, well… I love Disneyland. I love Disney anything. Minnie Mouse, Princesses, happy music, little kids, ice cream, sunshine, Nemo, castles, rides, laughter… All my favorite things in one place. It truly is the happiest place on Earth. (Stephen miiiight have felt like he was babysitting a five year old most of the day)
Our first ride was Indiana Jones and on our way there Stephen and his long legs kept passing all the families with young kids and he says to me (in a louder than conversation volume) “This is awesome! We’re faster than all the little kids!” If we got stares I didn’t see any, but I knew from that comment and his excitement that it was going to be a long, fun day.
Splash Mountain was our second stop. We walked right through the twists and turns and right onto a boat. First two in the seats and the only ones on the ride. (It was still morning and not quite hot out) In the words of my mother, “It was SO fun!” We got done and came back around and with still no one in line, the worker asked if we wanted to go again! I could have stayed on that ride all day long.
So on and so forth for the rest of the day. We enjoyed some yummy food, people watching, Minnie Mouse, ride after ride after ride and many laughs. By the time the parade started we’d gone on every ride but Space Mountain. The line was always so long… We’d been lucky to never wait more than 45 minutes so we kept questioning if the hour and a half wait would be worth it. I could tell Stephen really wanted to go, long wait or not, so after all my favorite characters came through the parade (lucky us they were the first four floats!) I grabbed Stephen’s arm and we ran to Space Mountain! The wait was down to 45 minutes (good timing!) though it seemed like longer… Well worth the wait, though! We finally got on the ride and went through laughing and screaming and crying because it was going so fast it whipped tears out of my eyes! We pulled back in and noticed the workers looked confused and were staring at us. After some button pushing on the machines they asked if we wanted to go again! Um, duh! Our cart had gone too far forward for our lap bars to pull up so we had no choice! Longest line of the day and we got to go around twice… Not too shabby!
We made it one more time down Splash Mountain with a little line, grabbed some coffee and a cinnamon roll for the drive home and headed back out the gates.
We had so much fun together, acting like little kids all day. I’m happy we were able to experience Disneyland pre babies, but am looking forward to bringing back the future kiddos and watching them become excited at all the little (and big!) things, just as we did!
I want to thank my husband for taking me and making me the happiest and luckiest girl! I love you, Stephen Wall!

No comments :

Post a Comment