Friday, April 11, 2014

two of Stephen's favorites

^^ Why would he want mom when he could have dad?! ^^

I don't often brag about my skills in the kitchen. One, because my skills are very limited, and two, because you probably don't care. But trust me, you're going to care about this. Sweet potato burritos. It sounds so simple, and really, it is, but it looks all sorts of professional so it makes it to Instagram every time. I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course, right?) and it quickly became a staple around here. When I first discovered it, I didn't have the exact ingredients on hand, so I altered it a little and have been making it the same way ever since. So while I'm sure the original is much, much better (found here) I'm sharing with you my take on it...


Ingredients:
Burritos:
4-6 whole wheat tortillas
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 red bell pepper (diced and cooked on the stove. I have added these cooked and fresh, but cooked has been our favorite)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1+ cup shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar, but mozzarella has worked for us before, too!)

Avocado Salsa:
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup salsa (I use Pace Chunky Medium, but any will do!)
juice of 1+ lime
2 cloves garlic
1/2+ cup cilantro leaves

Toppings: I switch it up every time, but this is what we've used and liked in the past:
lettuce (shredded)
1 tomato (diced)
1/2 red pepper (diced)
2 green onions (diced)
sour cream (we use Nancy's Non-Fat Plain yogurt)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Peel and chop sweet potatoes into bite size pieces.
Toss sweet potatoes in spice mix (olive oil, cumin, paprika and cayenne) until lightly coated on all sides.
Spread sweet potatoes on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil in a single layer.
Bake 40 minutes, checking and flipping chunks halfway, until golden and caramelized on the edges.

While the potatoes are cooking...
Dice red pepper and cook on stove top (5+ minutes).
Drain and rinse black beans.
Shred cheese.
Combine all the avocado salsa ingredients into blender or food processor and blend, adding water, until you've reached your desired consistency (I like mine a little thicker, but it falls off the spoon pretty easy)

When the potatoes are done, assemble the burritos! Sweet potatoes, red pepper, black beans and cheese. I don't have actual measurements for this part, but I can spread the ingredients between 6 burritos evenly.
Place assembled burritos in oven for 5+ minutes, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is slightly crispy.

Serve warm with avocado salsa and toppings.
And, ENJOY!


3 comments :

  1. I'm totally obsessed with your outfit and need to recreate it! and your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and by recreate I mean copy, but would never come close to as good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my second attempt at wearing a milk maid braid in public (this one much better than the first!) I love to play with my hair, but am not the best at it! Recreate it and I promise it will look so much better on you!

      Delete